At Peterhouse we use Singapore approach to maths. The Singapore method of teaching mathematics develops pupils' mathematical ability and confidence without having to resort to memorising procedures to pass tests - making mathematics more engaging and interesting.
Features of Singapore Maths:
- Emphasis on problem solving and comprehension, allowing students to relate what they learn and to connect knowledge
- Careful scaffolding of core competencies of :
- visualisation, as a platform for comprehension
- mental strategies, to develop decision making abilities
- pattern recognition, to support the ability to make connections and generalise
- Emphasis on the foundations for learning and not on the content itself so students learn to think mathematically as opposed to merely reciting formulas or procedures.
You can find out more about Singapore maths and how you as a parent can help by watching the following videos,