We have been looking at ways to encourage children to make good choices in school and to feel that they are acknowledged for doing so. In October 2021, we started a system of weekly behaviour awards, where there is a different focus area introduced each week. These areas are focused on good learning behaviours, such as being resilient, supporting others, being ambitious, asking good questions, etc, rather than ‘traditional’ good behaviours such as being quiet or putting your hand up.
This is how it works:
- On a Monday morning the learning behaviour for the week is introduced in classes with a short video. Pupils and teachers have a discussion about what these behaviours would look like and the benefits. We will also share these focuses on Facebook for parents to see.
- Teachers then focus on that behaviour during the week – mentioning it regularly, using the vocabulary and encouraging the behaviour. Teachers will then select a few pupils who have made a particular effort to demonstrate the behaviour.
- On Fridays, Behaviour Awards will be given to the selected pupils and families will be notified by email.
Behaviour Awards - 2022-2023
Current Focus: Determination
This half-term, our the learning-behaviour we have chosen to focus on is 'determination'. In the first week of term, we have discussed why determination is important and how we can show it in school. We used the 'Learning Pit' to help us understand at what point in our learning we might need to show determination.
Each week, we are looking for determination in different areas of the curriculum.
Advent Acts of Kindness
During the final weeks of the Autumn term, as of our wider Christian focus on Christmas and the period of advent, we wanted to continue to try and encourage the children to be kind to each other and themselves. Therefore, the behaviour awards were paused and we took on the 'Advents Acts of Kindness'. These worked as follows:
- Each morning in class, open up the virtual spinner (like you would an advent calendar)
- Spin the spinner
- See if you can complete the acts of kindness challenge throughout the day
- If the class land on something they have done, or one that does not work for your class, just spin again!
Classes then shared and celebrated their experiences during these weeks.